Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garden Juniper 6 year progression

+13
Vance Wood
yamasuri
Carolee
robert nocher
EpicusMaximus
Gary Swiech
Fore
Nick D
dorothy7774
Zach Smith
lordy
Orion
Rob C
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 Empty Re: Garden Juniper 6 year progression

Post  EpicusMaximus Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback.

This is why I am sticking to zone 3 trees, but zone 2 preferably. I'd not attempt anything higher.

The soil I was planning to use would be 3 parts potting soil, 1 part perlite and 1 part vermiculite with a layer of gravel at the bottom of the pot. Does this make sense? Or should I use something different?

My plan is to burry the pot and then cover the ground with mulch up to the base of the trunk. I'm only buying local trees and trees that the nurseries keep outdoors at winter Smile

It's fun so far. I'm nursery hunting in the hopes of finding something nice.

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 Empty Re: Garden Juniper 6 year progression

Post  Rob C Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:06 pm

EpicusMaximus wrote:Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback.

This is why I am sticking to zone 3 trees, but zone 2 preferably. I'd not attempt anything higher.

The soil I was planning to use would be 3 parts potting soil, 1 part perlite and 1 part vermiculite with a layer of gravel at the bottom of the pot. Does this make sense? Or should I use something different?

My plan is to burry the pot and then cover the ground with mulch up to the base of the trunk. I'm only buying local trees and trees that the nurseries keep outdoors at winter Smile

It's fun so far. I'm nursery hunting in the hopes of finding something nice.

Actually, in my opinion.. That soil mix does not really sound good for your purpose. Potting soil is not good for a bonsai medium. It stays too wet and does not drain well. A good soil for conifers is usually made up of akadama and lava rock as the main components. These should be the main components of your soil.. Also, turface, shredded bark of some kind and course river sand are all good choices. The main components should be akadama and lava rock.. Or if you go with another combination..maybe turface, course river sand and shredded bark.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks again for the prompt reply. I'm really new to this.

What proportions should I use, and how should I modify these proportions for trees that are not conifers?

I have a small prunus x cistena for example.

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Soil mixes can vay from individual to individual and place to place. I actually buy a pre made soil mix from a bonsai nursery. I cannot give you the exact proportions. I do know that some bonsai artists use akadama as the main part. In fact, I think some artist might use just akadama. I think the nursery may use like like like 50% akadama, 25% lava rock and 25% pumice. However, these is just from what it appears to look like.

Another conifer mix would be turface, course river sand and pine bark.. I think fir bark would also work. You can mix these in the same ratio as the first one I mentioned.

2 things to remember are if you do add the pine bark or other organics, your soil will hold a little more water. This can be good in very hot and dry climates. If you do not use organics, the soil will not hold much water, so in hot and dry weather, you would need to check the pots at least twice a day. However, if they are in deep pots as you suggested, once a day in summer should be fine. Also, if the soil is absent of organics, you will need to fertilize a bit more. Once again though, since you are using deep pots, you will have to learn and tailor your needs to that way of growing.

I would try to find other members or people that live in your area or surrounding areas and see what they have had success with.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  robert nocher Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:29 am

That's my kind of tree Rob, nice work

Regards

Robert Nocher
robert nocher
robert nocher

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:52 am

Thanks Robert:D

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks again for all your help Rob.

I've been on the phone all day looking for Turface and I finally found some. Apparently, in Canada, most people have no idea what Turface is. Smile

If I am transferring a juniper from a nursery pot (in whatever soil mix they used) to a pot with mostly Turface, is it best to wait until next spring?

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:38 pm

Unless the tree is in awful soil. It is usually a good idea to just wait until Spring. However, if you are just slipping the tree out of the pot and putting it i na bigegr pot and surrounding the root ball with fresh soil, you can do that anytime. Just keep in mind that root work is best done in spring on junipers.

Also, if you can find akadama, that is the first choice. If not, that is fine, I have had success with both mediums.

If you go with the turface, you will need to add other things like course river sand (from a horticultural/bonsai place (not colelcted off a beach) and some bark shreddings.

If you go with akadama, you could use just the akadama. However adding some lava rock and a little pumice is a good idea. Something important I need to mention. Whatever soil mix you choose..whether you buy or create, the particle size should be the same. You do not want big pieces and small pieces mixed. All particles should be of equal size.
Also, if you are creating your own blend or even buying it. You might want to get a sifter or strainer. You would add the mix to the sifter and then shake. This eliminates all the dust and smaller particles. This is done so that the powder does not clog the drainage holds on the bottom of the pot. Bonsai usually stay in one pot for 3-5 plus years. It is important that they start out with good soil that will last and not break down completely before this time. Another important thing is PPE. Personal Protective gear. Always wear a breathing mask when you are sifting soil. Do not inhale it. It can cause some bad problems. Also, whenever you spray fungicides and pesticides as well. If you handle dry sphagnum moss, try not to inhale it. You might want to wear a mask for this as well. Dry sphagnum moss can cause extremely severe lung problems.

I hope this was helpful Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Very helpful!

Well then, I shall wait until spring for repotting.

What about removing excess branches and growth for an initial pruning while in the nursery pot? If I stick to 30% removal am I ok before winter?

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:56 pm

30% seems like a bit much to do before winter. You can do fall pruning. however, I like doing all my pruning in spring. This way, shortly after, the tree becomes active and starts growing. It will now heal all the cuts and then push, lush, healthy new growth. If you prune now, the cuts are pretty much just going to heal slowly. Also, pruning can initiate growth. You really don't want to do anything to initate growth on a tree right before it goes into winter storage. This also includes no fertlizer. Conifers should not be fertilized aa all through the winter.

Personally I would wait. I realize it is tough to have patience sometimes. However, this tree is not going to be shown for a long time and is in a nursery container. The only thing pruning is doing at this point, would be satisfying your impulse to work on it. I have learned over the years that if you adhere to proper horticultural schedules, the tree will reward you ten fold. Also, this gives you time to contemplate what you want to cut. You may change your mind when late winter early spring rolls around... Rememebr, you can always take off branches, you can't put them back. Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 Empty Quebec Location

Post  Carolee Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:16 pm

EpicusMaximus, don't know where you live in Quebec, but in Montreal there is the Japanese Garden and Pavilion at the Montreal Botonical Gardens. David Easterbook is now retired, but lives in Montreal, and is quite knowledgeable about bonsai. He would be a great resource for you if you live in the area. There is probably a club there too. The Mohawk Hudson Bonsai Society traveled there in June. Pauline Muth (www.pfmbonsai.com) could probably give you contact information. Good luck.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:07 am

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:55 am

The best you can get here in QC is http://www.bonsaimontreal.com/index.htm and http://www.bonsaiduquebec.com/ I'm not to good in French so I'm collecting my bonsai knowledge most on internet. As member of SBPM can buy substrat Chabasai and Haydit and also composted pine bark conditioner. These I'm using for better level of my trees which are poted in ceramics pots. As training substrat I'm using diatomite [http://www.diatomitecanada.com/] which you can buy at any autopart store as "oil absorbent-! read the label before buy!" Than you can add crushed gravel which you can buy as unorganic component [ I buy in bags and screen 1/8] As dreniage on the bottom of training pot I use 3/8 sand. If need add some organic material I have good experience with fir compost bark [is $5 20kg bag at nursery] Diatomite has great absorbtion of water and if fertilized holds nutrients.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:21 am

You have served yourself and this tree well by not falling into the Procumbens foliage pad trap where the foliage pads are made to look like little rounded mounds of vegetables at the ends of the branches. I think the work you have done is first rate and the results are finished looking without looking contrived, a real problem with this species of Juniper.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Thank you very much Vance.. A few years back I saw that the tree was heading down that poodle path as you described. Being a healthy tree that was never over worked. Cutting it down to a skeleton to achieve a great internal structure seemed the way to go. Next season, I am planning on creating more shari up the trunk.

I love a nice procumbens. You might have to work a little bit more than with shimpaku and the like. However, in my opinion, the result are worth it.

Here is a new pic from the the last season

Rob

Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 IMG_3596-Copy2

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 Empty virtual tree

Post  abcd Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:27 am

More " bunjing style" with a smaller pot :
[img]Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 Procum14[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:36 am

nice work..
one possible way to increase the dancing trunk with shari and foliage positionning
[img]Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 P1080410[/img]
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks for the replu abcd. although your virt is nice, I feel it might not be right for this particular tree.

Hi cram. That is definrtely an impressive vision for this tree. Under different circumstances, I would style the tree as your drawing suggestions. However, there are a couple of things to consider. One, when you first look at this tree, it is very balanced. Pads flow and descend smoothly anfd there is a nice space above the main first branch. The only issue, if it could even be considered an issue, is that the trunk might be a bit thin to carry the silhouette. However, at first glance, it is really not that noticeable. I decided a while ago that I was going to keep everything the way it is because, in the years to come, I was going to let the trunk naturally thicken. Meanwhile, keeping the silhouette of the tree in check. Basically, by letting nature do it's thing, this tree will only improve in time.

Another thing is the actual size of this tree. This tree is not big at all. The tree is maybe 11 inches tall. For some reason, I see the tree in your drawing as a nice say, 20 inches tall bunjin.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  mikebonsai Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:44 pm

This tree looks great! Lovely to see what can be achieved with nursery stock. The tree is well-balanced and healthy it looks, I'm overly jealous.

mikebonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:05 pm

mikebonsai wrote:This tree looks great! Lovely to see what can be achieved with nursery stock. The tree is well-balanced and healthy it looks, I'm overly jealous.

Amen to that, this is a gorgeous tree.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:50 pm

mikebonsai wrote:This tree looks great! Lovely to see what can be achieved with nursery stock. The tree is well-balanced and healthy it looks, I'm overly jealous.

thank you very much Mike.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Vance Wood wrote:

Amen to that, this is a gorgeous tree.

Thank you Vance. Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:34 pm

I think I liked better at it's original height. The fewer bends in the trunk were more pleasing to me and the trunk had a thicker appearence. All in all though a very nice styling.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Twisted Trees wrote:I think I liked better at it's original height. The fewer bends in the trunk were more pleasing to me and the trunk had a thicker appearence. All in all though a very nice styling.

Hello Twisted Trees. The height was never reduced. The tree has always been roughly this height, minus an inch or so. Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next