Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some of my Red Ficus

+4
Jerry Meislik
Sakaki
Poink88
jolz
8 posters

Go down

Some of my Red Ficus Empty Some of my Red Ficus

Post  jolz Mon May 07, 2012 10:52 am

Good day IBC,
I just want to show some of my Red Ficus, although they have already peaked from being purely red. Few days from now they will finally settle to being green leafed again until the next defoliation. Comments are always welcome.
Regards,
Jolz

Some of my Red Ficus Red_fi13

Some of my Red Ficus Red_fi14

Some of my Red Ficus Red_fi15

Some of my Red Ficus Red_fi16

Some of my Red Ficus Red_fi17

Some of my Red Ficus Red_fi18

Some of my Red Ficus Red_fi19

Some of my Red Ficus Red_fi20
jolz
jolz

Back to top Go down

Some of my Red Ficus Empty Re: Some of my Red Ficus

Post  Poink88 Mon May 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Wow Jolz, that is quite a collection. I specially like the last one.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  jolz Mon May 07, 2012 2:36 pm

Poink88 wrote:Wow Jolz, that is quite a collection. I specially like the last one.

Thanks Dario,
The last pic, that's quite a heavy one, about 18 inch in trunk diameter. I have few more of these Ficus variety and still under training. The first and the fourth photos are my first ever bonsais, dug near my former workplace around 20 years ago, during the time when I was not so serious in this craft and no IBC yet to teach, comment or criticize my early works.
Regards,
Jolz
jolz
jolz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Mon May 07, 2012 11:27 pm

Hi Jols,

What a great & extraordinary collection is this? Smile
Really wonderful!!!
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Tue May 08, 2012 3:04 am

Jolz,
Very nice work. I love this species.
Could you take a close-up picture of the leaves for me?
Thanks.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  CraftyTanuki Tue May 08, 2012 5:35 am

Wow wonderful trees mate, what is the scientific name? Ficus ???
CraftyTanuki
CraftyTanuki

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue May 08, 2012 11:47 am

CraftyTanuki wrote:Wow wonderful trees mate, what is the scientific name? Ficus ???
Through google...Ficus Concina
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Tue May 08, 2012 12:16 pm

Poink88 wrote:
CraftyTanuki wrote:Wow wonderful trees mate, what is the scientific name? Ficus ???
Through google...Ficus Concina

Dario

Do you still have problem with displaying images?
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue May 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Sakaki wrote:
Dario

Only at work. I think they block the image hosting site for IBC.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Tue May 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Poink88 wrote:
Sakaki wrote:
Dario

Only at work. I think they block the image hosting site for IBC.

Not a block!
it's about DNS setting difference between your PCs at home and office.
I sent you a PM with a link which solves the problem, check it Smile

Taner
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Ferdie * Thu May 10, 2012 1:52 am

Jolz,

I like your collections of ficus, i have few of that i dont know if you seen it, but i do admire your collections, the manner how it grown and formed to such creation, how i wish i have one of those, Razz Laughing
Ferdie *
Ferdie *

Back to top Go down

Post  jolz Thu May 10, 2012 9:03 am

Ferdie * wrote:Jolz,

I like your collections of ficus, i have few of that i dont know if you seen it, but i do admire your collections, the manner how it grown and formed to such creation, how i wish i have one of those, Razz Laughing

Ferdie,
Just an hour ago, I went to the field were these big Red Ficus grew, took some fruits as this is their fruiting season. I'm drying them now under the sun and 2 to 3 days from now, I will be sending them to Jerry Meislik in Montana, he's very lucky and just in time for the ficus fruiting season. Below is another Ficus Concina that I trained in Horai style, a Chinese Calligraphy imitation that means long life. The photo was taken a year ago and I have already posted it before in my older thread.
Regards,
Jolz

Some of my Red Ficus Balete10
jolz
jolz

Back to top Go down

Post  jolz Thu May 10, 2012 9:13 am

Another small ficus in Horai style. Around 8 years old. All of my ficus bonsais except from the biggest one came from just sprouted seeds the reason that most of them are trained them in twisted styles.
Regards,
Jolz

Some of my Red Ficus Balete11
jolz
jolz

Back to top Go down

Post  Ferdie * Thu May 10, 2012 9:17 am

Thats really nice Jolz, its great, i love it, specially no. 5 and 6, how i wish, i can adopt one of your collections. Wow! Laughing bounce thumbs up
Ferdie *
Ferdie *

Back to top Go down

Post  dexworks Thu May 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Jolz,

Great collection you have there!

Question, I am field-growing a lot of these Red Balete, and I noticed that my trees have Two different shades of bark color. The other one is the exact same color as yours, and the other one is dark brown, but the leaves are just the same. Do you think this is normal or is it a different variety of Ficus Concina?

Thanks in advance.

Derick
dexworks
dexworks

Back to top Go down

Post  jolz Thu May 10, 2012 12:59 pm

dexworks wrote:Jolz,

Great collection you have there!

Question, I am field-growing a lot of these Red Balete, and I noticed that my trees have Two different shades of bark color. The other one is the exact same color as yours, and the other one is dark brown, but the leaves are just the same. Do you think this is normal or is it a different variety of Ficus Concina?

Thanks in advance.

Derick

Derick,
It's the same variety, eventually the dark colored bark will fade in time. The reason why most of the bark in my bonsais are light in color is because of the water scales, the water I'm using here in our place came from deepwell; minerals like calcium and magnesium bicarbonates are abundant in our water. These bicarbonates will turn into carbonates once dried. This question was earlier asked to me by my good friend and mentor madam Fely Gupit before as she's wondering why most of my trees has pale trunk color. In streets in Manila you will notice that most trees barks has darker color, but that is another story; soot accumulation due to unburned diesel fuel of some vehicles causes this phenomenon. Any reader please correct me, if someone is in doubt about my observations and opinions.
Best regards,
Jolz
jolz
jolz

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu May 10, 2012 3:16 pm

jolz wrote:Just an hour ago, I went to the field were these big Red Ficus grew, took some fruits as this is their fruiting season. I'm drying them now under the sun and 2 to 3 days from now, I will be sending them to Jerry Meislik in Montana, ...
Now I am jealous Wink LOL.

Kidding aside, this is ficus, I would think propagating via cuttings will be faster than seed. At least for you, it is different for Jerry to establish the initial stock. Is this not so?
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 10, 2012 4:39 pm

jolz wrote:
Just an hour ago, I went to the field were these big Red Ficus grew, took some fruits as this is their fruiting season. I'm drying them now under the sun and 2 to 3 days from now, I will be sending them to Jerry Meislik in Montana, he's very lucky and just in time for the ficus fruiting season.

cheers
That's Great Jolz...I was preparing a cutting for him, no leaves no roots just matured branch. guess you'll send it first. I am finding it difficult to find seeds here in the city.

Good luck Jerry. they grow very fast here.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu May 10, 2012 4:50 pm

jolz wrote:Below is another Ficus Concina that I trained in Horai style, a Chinese Calligraphy imitation that means long life. The photo was taken a year ago and I have already posted it before in my older thread.
Regards,
Jolz

Some of my Red Ficus Balete10

Jolz,

I have been trying to find a nice picture of this "Chao Shu Penjing" for my coming book..and now this is !
Can you do me a favour to take another picture of this tree from the eye-level with plain backgound..and ofcourse your permission to use it for my coming book.

Thanks in advance buddy.
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  dexworks Thu May 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Jolz,

Your explanation about different bark color makes a lot of sense, however, in my case, it might not be the reason though... these "farmed" trees rarely receive any watering from me, they are left to fend for themselves, except in extreme drought...

Another info worth mentioning is that the dark-colored trunks came from bird droppings that self-seeded in a pile of dried leaves on roof gutters, and the light colored trunks came from cuttings.

Thanks for the reply and info...

Derick
dexworks
dexworks

Back to top Go down

Post  jolz Fri May 11, 2012 7:40 am

Jolz,

I have been trying to find a nice picture of this "Chao Shu Penjing" for my coming book..and now this is !
Can you do me a favour to take another picture of this tree from the eye-level with plain backgound..and ofcourse your permission to use it for my coming book.

Thanks in advance buddy.

No problem Robert, Here it is:

Some of my Red Ficus Longli11

Some of my Red Ficus Pictur27

jolz
jolz

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri May 11, 2012 8:05 am

Hi Jolz, thanks so much.... cheers
Robert Steven
Robert Steven