Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help me identify tree in Vietnam

4 posters

Go down

Please help me identify tree in Vietnam Empty Please help me identify tree in Vietnam

Post  neilmc Thu May 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi,
I'm new to bonsai and I'm reading as much as I can to learn about it.
I have purchased a tree here in Vietnam where I now live. Unfortunately who i bought it from couldn't tell me the English name for this tree or any other info as My Vietnamese is still limited. I only understood that it can be out in the sun all day and doesn't need shade. Which is good as my terrace has no shade. During the day it gets really hot around 35C / 95F.

Anyone know what this tree is?

Please help me identify tree in Vietnam Hdr_0014
Please help me identify tree in Vietnam 20120510
Please help me identify tree in Vietnam 20120511
Please help me identify tree in Vietnam 20120512
Please help me identify tree in Vietnam 20120513

So i've had it for about 3 days. And i've noticed some of the leave are starting to turn yellow. I haven't re-potted it and I don't know when it was done last. But by the look of the sold and the growth on it I guess it's been a while.

Should I go ahead and re-pot it with fresh soil?
The growth which i guess is weed on the existing soil. Is that bad for the tree? I have seen some bonsai trees with moss around.

It's around 2ft tall. I water it every morning (i guess around 400ml of water) and i spray it with water at lunch and in the evening. Should I water everyday? Or am i watering too much causing the yellow leaves?

Any advice on taking care of this tree would be great!

Thanks

Neil

neilmc

Back to top Go down

Please help me identify tree in Vietnam Empty Re: Please help me identify tree in Vietnam

Post  Poink88 Thu May 03, 2012 3:19 pm

I looks like Fukien Tea to me. Your problem is over watering. Get a bamboo skewer and stick it in the pot, leave it there and check before watering. If it is still wet..DON'T!!!

By the way... WELCOME!!! cheers
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Please help me identify tree in Vietnam Empty Re: Please help me identify tree in Vietnam

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu May 03, 2012 3:40 pm

There are at least three leaf sizes in Fukien Teas, your tree seems to have the larger or at least mid sized leaf form.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu May 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Poink88 wrote:I looks like Fukien Tea to me. Your problem is over watering

Dario! he's had the tree 3 days so probably hasn't had the chance to overwater yet. I wouldnt even attempt to advise how much water a tree on a balcony in vietnam needs, having not ever even seen one, let alone sat on one.

Over here to keep a fkin tea alive needs good surrounding humidity so people stand them on moisture trays of pebbles & water, but i guess vietnam has its own humidity quite naturally. I know the open soils we use do not suit many trees over there - and most seem to do really well in that grey looking solid soil they always seem to be potted in. I'd explore the rootball, if it isnt solid just aerate it with a few holes spiked in. Chances are it hasnt been fed much, thats what i'd be looking to do.

hopefully a member more local to the tree can give accurate advice though

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu May 03, 2012 7:04 pm

I find Fukien Tea to be fairly finicky about watering. I have mine in a peat based soil and it needs repotting. It dries out daily and will really wilt in less than 36 hours, however if kept too wet it will get yellow and drop leaves. The soil for this one looks really heavy, but dried out. Sometimes these soil can be really hard to rewet once dry. I would try emersion to start with.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu May 03, 2012 7:13 pm

neilmc wrote: I water it every morning (i guess around 400ml of water) and i spray it with water at lunch and in the evening. Should I water everyday? Or am i watering too much causing the yellow leaves?
Marcus, I based my comment on this. I am in Texas and I water mine twice a week (or less) but it is under a shade.

Billy is right though that a total immersion might be called for.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu May 03, 2012 7:17 pm

i agree Billy,
very tricky tree away from its natural habitat - its the only species i killed off a few times so decided they arent that nice, dont like me and i'll leave them to others that can keep them. Very Happy

The soil does look cr*p but you have to work out how the tree has been doing ok in it before the guy bought it - you can be sure its been in that pot a while, it would have been glossy and green too or it wouldnt have been purchased, so the trick is to copy what other locals are doing who have nice ones.

Yes Dario, it sounds a lot - but neither you or I know if 400ml of water is lots for a sunny balcony in vietnam - the soil looks so solid most of the 400ml will probably run off, or down the side and out the bottom. I was trying to point out a guy in Texas and one in Cornwall dont have a clue how much water to use in vietnam- the locals may not water at all if the background humidity is 100%.??

marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu May 03, 2012 7:30 pm

I can only assume it is comparable to the Philippines (tropical)...if so, it should be a lot "tamer" than Texas. I agree the water may just be running off the sides though so it should be immersed first. The bamboo skewer should help determine if this is the case.

My fukien tea (3 of them) grows like a weed and I hardly do anything to them. I still wonder why others are having bad experience with it. I would investigate the soil first then remove all the fruits and flowers. That shoulkd help the tree channel all its energy to the leaves. Mine drop their (probably 2 season) old leaves as they grow new ones by the way.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down