Mass Tree Death - lost all my trees

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mass Tree Death - lost all my trees

Post  Velodog2 on Tue May 01, 2012 4:24 am

I've grown trees with extremely hard tap water for years and had my share of problems. As I understand it it is not the hardness but the alkalinity that hurts them. Look it up as this is not the same thing as ph and you may need to know about it moving forward.

HOWEVER, my problems were mostly slow and chronic and as others mentioned came during the growing season and after a long dry summer when I relied mostly on tap water for watering. I doubt this is your problem right now, but not sure.

The trees were not in leaf, so they were essentially still dormant when the herbicide was used. I believe that rules that out as a probable cause as they are a metabolism disrupter, and are mostly absorbed thru leaves.

I think you mentioned losing a couple of pines due to soil dryness. Also at least one of the survivors was in a more organic soil mix with better water retention. My pick for most likely cause is simple insufficient watering during the winter, possibly exacerbated by higher than typical temperatures.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  Levi on Wed May 02, 2012 4:39 am

I have to agree with Velodog2. If it were not due to malicious acts, then I'd say under watering/ being too dry while over wintering might be the culprit. The first year I got into bonsai and tried to over winter some Japanese maple saplings in a shed, they died for this reason too. Also ended up having the shriveled branches you mentioned and buds that just didn't pop. I would say this is a pretty good guess and Velodog2 also makes a very good point about your one surviving tree was in a highly organic and water retaining mix.

Levi

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung on Wed May 02, 2012 5:27 am

I agree with Levi - dessication is my guess too.

I lived for sometime in Idaho, north of SLC. The air is extremely dry there and winter is especially bad. Subzero temperatures with 20% RH or less are the norm - change this to 40F-ish in the garage and the RH is nearly zero. I never tried to grow bonsai when I lived there, but I did struggle for years to just get landscape trees to survive and grow.

0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 pm

this is a group of different things killing different species of trees at the same time- some too dry, some indoors when they should have been out for the winter, some or all were weakened from moving house, and the learning and acclimatising process from the move for both the owner and the trees was too sudden - it sounds like a difficult place to grow varied species - I'd look to my surroundings for inspiration before buying any more bonsai -if it is thriving naturally it will be easy as a bonsai

cheers Marcus

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:24 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum