Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeding in the current wet weather. S.E.England

4 posters

Go down

Feeding in the current wet weather. S.E.England Empty Feeding in the current wet weather. S.E.England

Post  Justin_ Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Is there any advice on feeding trees in long periods of wet weather such as we're experiencing now? As I only use liquid feeds the plants I have in the ground, which I was hoping to be giving Chempak 20.20.20 every couple of weeks at this time of year, aren't getting any. Nothing's unhappy, but I'd like to have been keeping to the regime I was hoping would give them a nice boost before summer. If it's any help, I'm on typical London clay soil but with a good amount of garden compost and gravel dug in.

Potted trees aren't a problem as I can keep them sheltered for a bit before feeding.

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Feeding in the current wet weather. S.E.England Empty Re: Feeding in the current wet weather. S.E.England

Post  marcus watts Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi,
In prolonged wet weather you will always get better results with a dry powder or granular feed that slowly leaches into the soil. My no. one choice would be Naruko every 6 weeks - it is primarily a field growing fertiliser for pre bonsai trees so would be perfect. Even a soil treatment of blood fish & bone or even a mulch of manure or chicken poo pellets would supply nutrients each time it rains. Solids are the way to go though rather than liquids as they last much longer

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Feeding in the current wet weather. S.E.England Empty Re: Feeding in the current wet weather. S.E.England

Post  Justin_ Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks Marcus,
I've got chiken manure-based granules which I use on my vegetable beds, so I'll use those for now until I get some Naruko.

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Justin welcome to my water world.

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:54 pm

tony wrote:Justin welcome to my water world.

haha - unbelievable isnt it!! I've had to put all the trees on the floor before dawn today, and the accents in the greenhouse - but its been wind as well as rain - a lovely branch was ripped off the full sized liliac and a big formal baytree in a large stoneware planter was blown off the deck Mad

probably still a hoes pipe ban where Justin lives too !!
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:38 pm

It's now day 25 of the hosepipe ban in Suffolk and we have had rain every single day since then Crying or Very sad
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:31 pm

I also use a solid fert when it is like this. 3-4 weeks ago I cleaned all surfaces, removed weeds, broke up any hardened clay type areas; then put on a nice new top dressing complete with Naruko which I like quite a bit. I've also used Green Dream from Graham P at Kaizan, but find whilst it is good, it ends up sending out invitations to every weed in the county! Been using granulated 'THE ONE' this year on some, (too early to know really) whilst others make do with the Organic range from Miracle gro. All seem much of a muchness in terms of good health, colour etc. So they get fed every-time it rains.

Bye; I'm going back to my cave for continued hibernation Rolling Eyes
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down